Sara's CJD journey

Monday, July 13, 2009

Talking Book







We were encouraged to assemble a "Memory Book" for Mom to help prompt recollections of events, people and experiences. Before we moved Mom to her new residence, Sonia, Nancy and I brainstormed what furniture Mom would be needing and what special mementos we'd need to bring to Seattle. I packed-up Sonia's mini-van with some furniture and clothes to take to Seattle so she and Nancy could arrange the room in advance of Mom's arrival. The furniture and clothes were easy to select, the treasures, not so easy. I had amassed a pile of keepsake things for Sonia to transport and before she left she filtered through the items I had set aside, added some things I had overlooked and when she was done we had a thoughtfully archived collection of loose pictures, framed pictures, scrapbooks- even a newspaper edition from Plattsburgh with a front page article reporting about her promotion. All these mementos got packed-up, as well as a manila envelope full of the cards and letters from Loved-ones.

When Mom got moved-in, I started to assemble the "Memory Book". It's a red three-ringed binder with the cards and letters taped to individual sheets of cardstock.






I remarked today how often the image of the butterfly was incorporated into a card that communicated a solace toward grief. Maybe card designers are aware of the metaphorical symbolism of the metamorphosis embodied in the life-cycle of the butterfly and are drawing attention to a parallel with whatever transformation occurs in the spirit when someone is dying.


3 comments:

  1. Sara did so many wonderful things while here in NYS. I remember how happy she was to be retiring and moving to the West Coast. She once told me about an accident she had while driving on black ice during one winter here in New York. I think of her in winter and try to drive carefully for fear of the unsuspecting black ice on the road. May God bless you and keep you Sara. I am happy you are near your children who love you so very much.
    Christina Hernandez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara was a wonderful friend and mentor while my Supervisor at Monroe County Probation. She always believed that Probation worked best when used as "a carrot and a stick" and she provided many opportunities for me to grasp this approach. I listened in on many an interview where she was kind and understanding, but firmly addressing the issues in dealing with offenders. She seemed to truly love her job and instilled in all of us a desire to grow, to be better POs, and to therefore be better people. There were humorous moments - and not just with probationers but also with staff. She had great courage in her approach to certain issues and people and she dealt with conflict like a true professional. I remember she once told me that ours was the kind of job for which we needed to be self-motivated, and dependence on others' positive feedback wasn't necessarily a good thing. How right she was...not only about work but about life. Yes, Sara was very interested in my life outside of work and my growing family. She seemed genuinely caring and loving and wanted to help me in any way that she could. I remember her coming to my house and helping me wall paper when my oldest son was two. And we had many a coffee on my porch as we discussed children, struggles in my marriage, and our mutual faith in God that was the bedrock of our lives. She was truly a woman of distinction who I will always cherish. Sonia and David, she loved you and the grandchildren so much - how blessed you were to have her as your mother and grandmother. Please know that I will always have loving and warm thoughts of Sara Fasoldt.
    Joanne Kirkpatrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wauna Federal Credit Union and volunteers only knew Sara for a short time, but we will miss her vitality and intelligence. We were very sorry that she had to resign her position on our Board of Director's. Our thoughts, prayers', and sympathy go out to her family! We were very lucky to have met and worked with Sara and she will be missed.
    Stephanie Hall
    Wauna Federal Credit Union
    Executive Assistant

    ReplyDelete