Sara's CJD journey

Friday, July 17, 2009

Talking About the Present


Today we strolled through dappled sunshine on a hot Seattle summer day. Nancy blazed a path down the sidewalk through trespassing lavender blossoms thick with pollen-laden bumble bees. Mom's freshly lavished lotion scent blended with the bluster of brushed-aside fragrance. The chair wheels crushed through the minefield of deposed cherries- it's almost what Nancy and I call "free fruit season". Pears, plums, apples and grapes, blackberries and blueberries are almost nuisance issues for gardens and pedestrians. Neighbors fill paper grocery bags with tree fruit and deposit them on one another's doorstep in equal gestures of altruistic goodwill and self-conscious landscape hygiene. One can only eat so many plums from the icebox that you were saving for breakfast. Forgive me, they were delicious, so sweet, so cold*.


Somehow I've been able to make the managing of Mom's affairs, her care oversight and the guardianship of her dignity my full-time job. It's an opportunity that has been a gift in large part due to the dynamic competency and the corresponding sacrifices of both Nancy and Sonia.


Thank you, my loves. Your strength magnifies the Glory I seek for the strength and wisdom I need now.


*Thank you William Carlos Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment