Sara's CJD journey

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Piece of Paper

I caught a glimpse of some fluttering urban flotsam while heading home from Mom's house on my motorcycle today, an ethereal flutter of a white rectangle in my periphery- and then I registered what it might be. Sonia's address she wrote for me on a business card. I need that, so I stopped. Where I stopped was a small park at the foot of a bridge I've been by a thousand times but never visited. So today I paused. I retrieved Sonia's note and I regarded the bronze statue of the girl offering the world her origami crane, an offering of peace.

Peace to the world, peace to the busy commuters, peace to the distracted and sorrowful rider. Peace is love.



1 comment:

  1. I have just finished reading all the posts on the site that, unfortunately, I wasn't aware of until today. Thank you so very much for the loving words that I have read.

    I have only known Sara for a few years. I live in Long Beach and played bridge with her. We did go to a few tournaments together. I can't express how very much I loved and admired your Mother. She was a true inspiration to all of us lucky enough to have traveled in her orbit. I remember some wonderful dinners at her home and some really great bridge moments.

    My heart goes out to you, her beloved family! This must be one of the most difficult journeys any of you have undertaken. May God walk with you all the way!

    What an incredibly horrid disease this is! To take a mind as sharp as Sara's and literally disolve all of who she is with such speed and tenacity.

    The blessing is knowing how many people's lives she has touched and helped to shape. I think she's truly an angel on earth.

    I think of Sara every day and I am so very glad that I can read about her progress - her small triumphs and her moments of joy. Thank you for sharing all of that with us, her friends!

    ReplyDelete