Sara's CJD journey

Friday, June 5, 2009

The journey so far

My name is Sonia and I am Sara's daughter. My mother has been sick for a very short time. My intention is to give the details from the start of what we’ve seen to the present and then update when things change.

First week of May: Mom called my brother, Dave, in a panic saying that she couldn’t find her car… in her driveway. It worried him enough that he went down to check on her. It was obvious to him then (and to me on the phone) that she was having what we all thought were memory loss episodes similar to Alzheimer's disease, roughly stage 3. It was clear when he went down there then that she needed help, as she wasn’t remembering to feed herself and was having problems finding her way around her house. She was coherent, but not all of the time. She started having visual anomalies in the form of tracers of colors around that time as well, but she was chalking that up to new glasses. She had no problem with knowing who her children or friends were, but did not remember all of the things that had happened during the day. She was describing how she was feeling as “foggy”.

Second week of May:  In the short time of about a week her cognitive state started to decline so rapidly that I took her to the emergency room in her small coastal town of Seaside, Oregon. They ran basic diagnostics consisting of a mini mental exam (or, really, a mini mini mental exam), a CT scan (to look for bleeding) and a blood and urine screen. They suspected stroke but found “nothing” (to quote the ER doctor). Since she had an appointment with a GP the next week, and her mental state wasn’t terrible enough to admit her to the hospital (well, and she hadn’t had a stroke), he released her with the advisement not to drive and to have family close by to help her. He also called the GP and updated her so she’d have the information when the appointment time came.

Third week of May:  During the appointment the GP gave her a longer mini mental exam, ordered a chest x-ray (not sure why) and told us that she would be referring her to the University of Washington Medical Center as soon as possible for more testing (since both Dave and I live in or near Seattle, we wanted to have her there with us). The GP mentioned during the visit that she suspected it might be Alzheimer’s (note: although Alz is a unique as the patient, NOTHING I found in any Alz literature indicating that the disease could progress as rapidly as it was appearing to progress with her, so I wasn’t completely satisfied with her suspicion). At this time mom’s confusion was growing dramatically, and her short term memory was very sketchy. We worried very much about her wandering away from the house since she was so confused about getting where she wanted to be in her house and was sometimes going outside to find her bedroom, the bathroom or the kitchen. She also at this time was having a little trouble being steady on her feet. Not much, but she seemed to need to walk a little slower than normal and I noticed that she was holding on to things while standing still. She couldn’t sign her name – well, she got her first name but then was having a lot of trouble remember what letters were in her last name and how to physically write them.

May 21st:  Her GP orders an MRI. The test is easy, according to mom, and we await the results. She verbalizes that she is feeling more and more “foggy”. They call the next day and schedule ANOTHER MRI for the following week.  Since the hospital in Seaside is a small hospital, they don’t have a resident MRI machine (it is driven in from Portland for 2 days a week), we have to wait this long. They said they needed another one to make sure that she hadn’t moved during the MRI.

Memorial day:  My brother called from Seaside, where he’d been staying with her pretty much without a break since the beginning of the month, and he and mom told me that she was feeling even more disoriented, evidenced by trying to show her nephew around her house and not being able to come up with the words for the rooms. I suggested they go back to the ER, since when I took her they said to come back if it gets worse. I also thought that they would be able to read the MRI results, since nobody had given us the results from the first one. The visit to the ER was short – they looked through her chart and explained what the radiographer had written in the chart: there were a couple of possible reasons for the bright spots seen in her frontal lobes, most likely among them Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (CJD). CJD is a degenerative neurological disorder that is very rare, incurable, and invariably fatal. Dave is in shock and disbelief, mom is just in disbelief. He calls me, and I am likewise in shock and disbelief.

May 27th: This is the day of her second scheduled MRI. We had gotten advice from several people, including her GP, that going to the Oregon Health and Sciences University (OHSU) hospital ER in Portland would get us a quicker path to a neurologist, as we were having a problem getting a neurologist to schedule an appointment within the week. Why this was so troublesome is that the progression of her symptoms was so rapid and we were seeing dramatic changes daily. We wanted them to find her a diagnosis and cure before whatever was wrong took over (still in disbelief about the CJD diagnosis). By this time she had a shuffling gate, was “out of it” most of the time with stretches of clarity that only last a few hours at a time, and used words that were inappropriate to the conversation pretty consistently. After the MRI we took her directly to the ER at OHSU. This is a real ER in a big city with big, real emergency medical problems. Because of this we started to get a little nervous that it would take a long time to see us, and that once they saw us that they would send us away and tell us to wait for a neurology appointment. Luckily that didn’t happen.

We brought all of her medical information with us, including both MRIs, for the new crew of doctors to look at. They asked the same mini mental exam questions that the other doctors had, and it was clear that mom had lost more cognition since the last exam. She had a problem remembering her full name, for example, whereas the week before she could. We spent a few hours in the ER and thankfully they didn’t want to just send us home, but instead had their on-call neurologist come in. We were SO excited that we were finally getting the attention we needed. The neurologist tested her with a much longer mini mental exam than she had been having, as well as physical challenges to test her balance and strength. After these tests and after he reviewed her MRI and medical information, the neurologist admitted her, and told us he wanted to make sure that the neurology team at the hospital did every test possible to rule out some of the more simple explanations for what was happening, as well as try to rule out CJD.

The hospital stay was brutal on everyone. We took turns sleeping in her room with her. Some nights were better than others, some days better than others, but she was clearly getting worse each day of the 7 day stay. There was a team of neurologists, there was a team of therapists (cognitive, speech/language and physical), and endless rounds of nurses and nursing assistants. All of the doctors asked her the same questions every day, and it made her angry every time she got the questions wrong (which she was doing with more and more frequency). They gave her a full body CT because they said sometimes cancer somewhere in the body can make the brain do what her brain was doing. They took more blood. They gave her an EEG. They gave her a spinal tap (aka lumbar puncture or LP). All of the tests so far have come back inconclusive for any disease, but unfortunately the nature of CJD is that a positive diagnosis is not really possible without a brain biopsy or, worse yet, an autopsy. Every day, though, the team of professionals told us it is most likely CJD and that there’s really nothing they can do for her. There is no cure nor is there a treatment for this horrible disease. They wanted to make sure that she wasn’t being sent home to be by herself (duh) and helped us greatly in figuring out what our next steps were.

Latest information:  We have found her a residential care facility in Seattle that is lovely (relative to a nursing home, that is). The house is designed / architected for dementia residents and is therefore a very safe place for mom to be so we don’t need to worry about her wandering away at any time. The staff seems to really love what they’re doing and love the residents. We’re planning on taking her there on Monday, June 8th.

What you can do:  If you can, visit her. Expect to only stay with her for a few hours at most, but know that even if she’s not engaging with you in an expected way, we believe having friends and family around really does make a difference. Please do talk about your memories of things you’ve done together and share with her how much you love her, but please do NOT mention her disease.  If you want directions to her new place, send her an email as I check it daily.

17 comments:

  1. Through God's love I find the strength to persevere and am in awe of the majesty of our Lord's grace that I see in our Mother's resilience. She has not quit, she will not resign. Her stoicism amplifies the glory of our Lord.

    Praise the awesome power of love, and the communinion of the spirit of enduring love.

    Thanks for recording these events Sonia, I'm thankful for your stoic resolve and your fortitude, I'm fortunate to have you for a sister.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sonia (And family). I cannot begin to even imagine what this is like, but I wish you guys all the strength all of you will need, and hope that the doctors will soon discover what is the cause.

    Hang in there, and take comfort in each other. If there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonia and Dave, I love your mom so much and want you to know what a great woman she is. I am done mourning the fact that she is so sick and want to share with you what she has done for me. For many years when she was still in Clinton County and she could spend the holidays with you, she would share the holidays with us. It was a small North Country gathering of family, but Sara endured herself to everyone. All of my family fell in love with her.

    OK, another story....She knew how much that I wanted to go to college, but was sooooo timid and shy that I would probably never do it. She took me by surprise one afternoon by calling me after work to say that she knew of a class that she wanted me to attend. When I told her that I couldn't afford to do it, she said that she would loan me the money until the county paid me back. She left me no option but to meet her at Plattsburgh State and register (your mother can be very persistent). She audited the class in Sara's own ADHD way and once she knew that I would go there without her, she stopped going all together. That was the beginning of my college carer "once my children grew up" and I have now earned my bachelor's degee. I know that there are several others at the department that your mom has assisted in their college careers.

    I saw her just last year and ntoiced that she her sharpness was not the same, but atributed it to all of us getting older.

    I know that I cannot afford to go out there and visit with her, but I would like to talk with her or communicate somehow. Have you kept her cell phone? Is there a number that I can reach her at or will she even recognize who I am now? I know that we have received this information rather late, but I am trying to let everyone know that I can think of about what is happening. Let me know if you want me to contact someone.

    Your mom is such a great person and has touched so many lives. Oh and btw, she was so proud of her children and her grandchildren. Sue Boulerice Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonia and Dave, I just heard the news and my love and prayers go out to you, your mom and all of your family. I started working for Probation in Clinton County in August and I think your mom came the Department in October (or around that time). She is a wonderful and very bright lady. She always treated me with respect. I am still in shock. Kind of hard to imagine. Thank God she has the two of you. She always spoke of you and the grandchildren. I feel bad she is so far away as I would love to just see her. Please give her my love and I will keep in touch through this blog. If technology is so high tech, why isn't it as easy to find cures.
    Love and prayers to all of you,
    JoEllen Leary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sonia and Dave. I worked with your mom at the Clinton County Probation Department. She brought many new and welcoming ideas and changes to this department with her determination and intelligence, and in doing so made our jobs so much easier. She fought to upgrade some of our clerical staff to an upgraded position within the department, that of Probation Assistant, which is the position I now hold. I would not be in this position now if it hadn't been for her.

    I remember the first year that she was with us,she invited the secretarial staff to her home for Secretary's Day. She cooked us all lunch, a wonderful Quiche, the best I ever had. She is a marvelous cook. I always remember that day because the atmosphere was great and no one had ever done anything like that for us.

    I am pleased that you both are taking such good care of her. God bless you all.

    Kathy A. Dubuque

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sonia,

    I worked with Sara at Monroe County Probation. Your mom is loved by so many here, she is truly a special lady. Many of us just learned today of her health situation. My thoughts and prayers are with Sara, you and Dave and all of her family and loved ones.

    God bless,
    Michelle Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonia and Dave,
    I worked for Sara at DPCA in the Finance Office. When I first heard about her illness I think I was a little in shock because it didn’t really sink in until the next day or so. Now I can’t stop thinking about how terrible this is for Sara and of course her family.

    The impact of this news to DPCA staff is somewhat visible; I’ve seen some red eyes and sadness on the faces of those who are closest to Sara. Most of the staff seems to be quietly dealing with this news in their own private way.

    Sara has a special place in my heart for the kindness she has shown me during my own illness. I've been fighting breast cancer for over 3 years and your Mom always stopped by my desk to see how I was doing and offer me words of encouragement. Even in recent months Barb Flanigan would tell me that your Mom was asking about me. I felt so fortunate that she would still think about me and how I was doing.

    I read this blog everyday for new updates and to read the wonderful comments about Sara. She is in my thoughts everyday and I pray that she uses her inner strength to cope with this horrible disease.

    Joann McCabe
    DPCA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I last saw Sara when I stopped in Plattsburg to say hello on my way back to Rochester from
    Montreal. It was the trip when I fulfilled my desire to own a fur coat and I brought it to her office to show it off, I think that was the winter of 1994-5. We had no further contact, but I heard about her through the grapevine, and it did my heart good when, after being undervalued in Monroe County, she went on to become state director. Way to go, Sara!

    I worked in the unit that did custody and visitation evaluations both under Jeanette Minkoff and when Sara supervised. She quite simply had the finest mind I encountered in my years at Probation--or in most other places for that matter.

    The sad news about Sara's health brought me a flood of memories: the period when some of us spent lunch hours meditating in her office, the time we spent lunch hour at the Psychic Fair, the time we equipped ourselves with "magic wands"--clesr plastic tubes, beribboned and filled with glitter floating in liquid--so we could wave them and fix what was wrong with Probation (news flash: it didn't work). Sara and I shared an interest in fixing up houses (although I lacked her skills and hired it done and I greatly admired her hands-on approach) so I follwed the renovation of her house on Hillside Ave. closely. And I once recommended a handyman she hired to work on her rental house; his work was satisfactory but he wound up in a fight with one of her tenants.

    None of this, I guess, is important or significant, but it brings back the time, the place and the personality of someone I admired and respected. This is the Sara I remember and writing this, I have shed some tesrs for her and for myself, for what we were and what life has brought us to. She is a woman of great ability and outstanding accomplishment. I wish her godspeed on the next part of her journey.

    Garalee Greenwald

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since receiving the news about Sara she has floated in and out of my mind taking route in any quiet moment and often occupying my dreams. I was saddened by the news and have forwarded the information to her many friends in Plattsburgh . I sent a note to the Breakfast Kawaina's group she attended any ultimately lead while in Plattsburgh. Sara and Ivan arrived in Plattsburgh during the coldest part of our North Country winter and within a brief time became an integral part of the commumity. Always a mover,do-er and visionary she changed the face of probation in Clinton County. Sara's energy, witt and ability to see potential in all inspired those in her company to risk moving out of their comfort zone and grow in ways never envisioned. Committed to education and personal growth she encourage staff to pursue higher levels of education. Out of our small staff three individuals completed their Bachelors degree and move from clerical positions to Probation Officers. Her legacy is seen daily in the good work generated by the many people she inspired in this office and our field.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonia, I follow your blog everyday and was happy and crying at the same time to look at Monday's messages. I wish that I could be there with her, just spending time with my beloved friend.

    Please let her know that she is with me everyday and has been for so many years. She has been a part of our family ever since we met her. I haven't been able to bring myself to write to her yet, but I certainly want her to know that she is with me everyday. She is always such a joy to be around, whether having fun or being serious. I long to be there with her, even for a few minutes, to just hold her hand and let her know how much she is loved. But she would understand, as she usually did, how I could not be there.

    I know how pissed she must be right now with how this disease is taking her away. That would be the Sara spark I still know. If you don't know about this, please ask her about one of the most important lesson that I learned from her "pink bubbling."

    You and Dave and your children are in my thoughts also every day right now. I know how proud she was of all of you. Love,Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sonia, Dave and Nancy,
    My name is Tracy Berry. I live in Plattsburgh and am Nancy Charbonneau's daughter. It is so evident how special your mother is by reading the posts from all her friends. But I know first hand what a special person Sara is. I returned to Plattsburgh in 1994, when I was 24 after spending some years "finding myself". I wanted to go to college but felt pretty insecure about making it happen. Sara was a new friend of my moms and I liked her right away. The thing that drew me in at first was her calm and soft-spoken yet strong voice. She told me she knew some people at CCC that would help me. And sure enough, she did know people that would help me. Knowing another issue for my budding college career was money, she got me involved in Americorps. She also gave me a job cleaning her house once a week. I also had the pleasure of dog sitting Ivan the Terrible!! Sara even set me up on a blind date (although that didn't work out!). I have fond memories of returning to Plattsburgh and living with my mom and spending many evenings with "her friends" of which Sara was a big part. Your mother is a very special woman and I am so saddened to hear of her circumstance. I guess I just wanted you to know of another person who has been touched by Sara. My thoughts are with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We knew her for only five years: 60 months to revel at her lust for life. Sarah joined our ACBL Contract Bridge Unit 491 in May ` 2004 and our first thoughts were, “who is that striking blond from the East? We found out very quickly. She was a true renaissance woman for whom no task was too small, no challenge to great, no person a stranger for very long. Sarah was genuinely interested people, about what they thought, what they did and who they were. She opened her house to people she barely new. She attacked duplicate bridge with a zest typical of her style. When she began playing, Sarah amassed a library of bridge books and studied with the intensity of a student going for her masters degree. Except Sarah was going for her Life Masters rating in bridge which she achieved in near record time. To us, perhaps to all of her friends, Sarah was on a fast track, whether singing with the Sweet Adeline's, involving herself in the politics of Seaside or her spectacular weight loss program with TOPS. It was almost as if she had a premonition that she might not have God’s allotment of four score years and ten to accomplish everything she wanted to do. We are so fortunate that she shared five of them with us.

    From Sara's Bridge Friends in Unit 491, written by Ned Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sara and I moved to Seaside about the same time and became friends at the Chamber. We did a lot of fun activities together and worked in the office giving travel information to tourists. She invited me to become a part of Partners of the Americas, and I was able to travel to Costa Rica the year after she did. We cochaired the planning for the Ticos" visit to the coast last year and had some great times planning and visiting with them. We were going to play golf and talked about traveling together in the future.
    I miss her and wish I had been able to see her before she went to Seattle. Unfortunately my mom has been sick and I haven't been able to leave town. I do think of her often and would like you to tell her I'm thinking about her. Please give her my prayers and love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How shocked I was to read of Sara's death in the Plattsburgh Press-Republican. Sara was a bridge partner of mine when she first moved to Plattsburgh and we became close friends. With her upward mobility we lost touch with each other but pleased to "read" how well she had done in life. My heartfelt condolences to you her family. What you must have gone through. Sad, sad, sad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My name is Mark Jaggi and Sara hired me to work in the Clinton County Probation Department back in 1993 when I was 24 years old. Sara was also a new director then and she was a great boss, friend and person which is difficult balance. She was always encouraging me to push myself and move forward. She was one of the most intellectually brilliant people I have even known. I had many, many great, enlightening conversations with her. I've always considered her a mentor and was shocked and greatly saddened by this news. She was also one of the most adventurous and trusting people I ever knew. Like others who worked with her I have skied, sailed and drank the occasional beer with her(how's that for a cool boss!). She was accepting and kind to all people who came her way which really made her perfect for her chosen career. I am so saddened by this news and feel a lot of regret that I lost touch with her these past few years, but she left and indelible imprint on me that will be with me for the rest of my life. I'm still a Probation Officer in another county and quite frequently think back to lessons I learned when I worked with her. She will always be a part of who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sonia, Dave & families,
    Our love for your mom was so great. What a true friend. Terry and I would "house sit", "Ivan sit" and then "boat sit" while mom was on the road. This lead to many great hours of sailing together. Can you believe we even had the nerve to play scrable with her .. ole Mensa her. Our times together will always be cherished and remembered fondly. God bless all of you for being there in her time of need. The world has lost one of its finest gems.
    loveya, Bill & Terry Leonard
    formerly of Plattsburgh & now St. Inigoes, MD

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear David and Sonia, I am Sara's friend in Roseburg. Although we played bridge only a few times together (and I disappointed her terribly and she told me so!) Sara did take great delight in my few successes. She hosted me in her Seaside home on a painting excursion with several other artists and then again during a bridge tournament. I spent a few nights with her in her camper as well along with the dogs and Terry. Quite an adventure. I loved that Sara had so many plans all the time to fix up her waterfront B&B and rental. She was a delight and so full of energy. I am saddened to hear of her passing.
    I heard her local club is naming a game at the Reno Nationals in her honor. I am going to try and play in the game.
    David, I love your paintings

    ReplyDelete