Sara's CJD journey

Monday, June 8, 2009

Getting her room ready

Nancy and Aaron (my husband) and I took her stuff to her room this morning in preparation for her arrival tomorrow. We had planned on bringing her there today, but her social calendar was full down in Seaside up until today. I'm not surprised, but I am amazed at how many people she has touched down there in the relatively short 5 years she lived there. It's so much fun to hear her laugh with the people who come to visit - she may not be completely there, but she's there enough to enjoy a good joke! On Saturday my brother was reading to mom and I out of a Dave Barry book and she was giggling at all of the funny parts. Yep, that's mom :).

Selecting the stuff to bring to her new home didn't require too much thought. The room is about 10' x 12', so we knew we'd be able to fit seating and a bookcase in addition to her bed. The hard part was setting up her belongings in a strange place with the thought of her being there for however long she has left (uuuggg - I hate typing that. Somewhere in the back of my head I hear screaming: "She's going to recover, and isn't she going to be PISSED when she finds out you moved her stuff").  

Okay, that was my brief update - I'll update tomorrow after we get her settled. I want to thank *everyone* who has reached out to her and to my brother and I offering love and support. It means so much to me that my mother's circle is so large and that she's touched so many people. 

4 comments:

  1. I was so saddened to learn this news. Sara was a giant in the corrections community in New York, and brought a real human sensibility to all of her work. Her wonderful humor and openness were terrific attributes, particularly for someone at her level.

    I'll never forget one afternoon when Sara stopped by our office (unannounced. I had been going through a difficult time with someone who had left our agency and was creating problems. Sara dropped in just to tell me that things would be fine and that we had her complete confidence. It was such a personal and touching gesture, made more so by the fact that it was a complete surprise. She's a real class act. Please send my regards. We all miss her.

    Becky Bell, EAC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I too am so sad to hear about Sara's medical problems. Sara and I were Director's together in upstate NY. She in Clinton and I in St. Lawrence. We were both orange in the color personality schemes so we became fast friends. I know how excited she was to move to the west coast to be close to her family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Please give her my best.
    Francine Perretta
    St. Lawrence County Probation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara. Strong and brilliant and independent. Such an amazing woman your mother is! I have many fond memories of the years I worked with her in NYS. And, I remember the paths she blazed in juvenile justice, her unwavering belief in doing right even if it's not popular. Her determination to make change, to impact lives in a positive way, and to look at people's strengths instead of their weaknesses, is a lasting legacy.

    One day we were talking and I told her about this clock in my home town that was being repaired, and it was a big deal because of the maker, whose name was Fasoldt. Sara filled me in on the history of Charles and his clocks, and I went home & took a photo of the clock for her so she could have it as a memento. It's those little moments of conversation that come to mind as I think about your mother today. Over a glass of wine, or lunch during a meeting, there was always spirited conversation when Sara was there. Whether it was a plan to take the ferry to Montreal, a trip to the north country for a girls' weekendnd, or serious policy discussions, Sara was always full of ideas, a true visionary. I can not imagine how difficult this time is for all of you, her family, and for Sara herself.

    Please tell her that the clock is keeping time, standing tall and cherised by so many, like Sara. And please send her my love and good thoughts. My prayers and blessings are with each of you.

    Janelle Cleary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara always approached the world with a positive attitude and a ready laugh. Even her gripes were pleasant! We were colleagues at the state level.

    Her motivations were selfless and her committment to serving juveniles unwavering.

    I was so happy for her, when she moved to Oregon. She was thrilled to be nearer her family and to be living in such a lovely setting.

    While this disease is cruel and Sara is undeserving of it, she made the most of every day and will leave an indelible mark on all she touched.

    Please give her a hug for me.

    Alana Sweeny

    ReplyDelete